Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Goodbyes and hope for others

I've been teaching for some time in a probation hostel and within this time, I've been teaching 2 brilliant ex offenders/students/people; Whatever the PC terminology may be.
These students have been such a pleasure to teach, they've been inquisitive, humorous, critical, communicative, thoughtful, understanding, etc etc. Today was their last day with me. I actually felt rather choked up to be saying goodbye to these two men. I'm unaware of their crimes but I know one had been in prison for a long time, which may well mean schedule 1, or violent offences.
Films worked really well with these students and was a great way to introduce 'sensitive' subjects such as mental health, violence, drugs, racism, sexism. The discussions that were born through the watching of films were absolutely excellent and compassionate. So, when people are quick to judge those who commit crimes, deep down, I feel that most people have a sense of compassion and empathy.
These two guys certainly showed a great deal of empathy. One of the students in particular, whilst watchimg a film, was trying hard to hold back the tears. This really touched me and for some reason, always does. To see a man cry, or show emotion in this way, always gets to me and moves me; when I was a child and saw my Mum cry, that used to really get to me too.
I know it sounds odd in some respects because we are all capable of crying, but for some reason when men and parents cry, I want to cry with them.
Anyway, these guys especially loved 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest' and 'Cry Freedom'. These films really did spark up some interesting debates, so much so, that I urged one of them to go and study Sociology. He laughed when I sugggested this but deep down, I feel he was proud that someone had actually believed he could study further and took the college prospectus away with him.

So today for me was a rather sad one, although for them, a bright, new beginning in the wide world. I wish them both the best of luck and I really hope that they will fulfill their wishes, now that they're 'free men'.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not the only one with a tear in my eye...

FOUR DINNERS said...

It depends on the crimes. If somebody harmed my family I wouldn't be interested in their re-habilitation but in killing them at the earliest opportunity. That would make it personal I suppose. Without personal involvement I think what you do is incredible. People with little or no hope maybe getting a chance. Everybody deserves a chance. Maybe a second chance. (Unless they've hurt mine that is).

Yer a great lady n it's a pleasure to know yer. x