Saturday, December 29, 2007

Love?

OK so I'm thinking about this word. It's interesting how some people use it so fleetingly; meet a person, fall into bed, think they're in love, see faults in the person, get irritated by the person and this is in the matter of a few weeks. I don't think one can call this love.

There's the other scenario, when two people meet each other and just connect instantly, like a bolt out of the blue, like a cosmic energy pushed these two souls together and instantaneously, a weird sort of cosmic love is born..an energy like no other.

Then there's the 'desperate to meet a person' scenario. Desperate for a relationship to fulfill one's own needs. Desperate to settle down with the first person who seems like the right choice. when really, deep down you know they;re not the right choice.

I've listened to many a person talk about love and their relationships; With him cos they're lonely and if something better comes along, they'll be off.
Ugghh, I really get a bad feeling in my stomach when I hear about this scenario and I really don't think it's fair to the other person to pretend something that one doesn't feel, just to bide time so to speak..I guess loneliness is a big factor with this scenario.
The full on 'I'm in love' they're the best and it's getting serious. Yet, space,a feeling of being crowded out, too many demands, comments about the person's seemingly physical faults; too fat, too thin, sweaty, smelly, repulsed..
Arggh, this makes me cringe too. I feel for the poor person who is classed as such. I don't think space is really an issue when you truly love someone. When you truly love someone, you don't give a shit about their fatness, sweatiness, faults, imperfections. No, all that you see is their beauty and their soul.You love everything about them. I remember my ex and I use to watch films together on a sofa bed and I'd pass out snoring loudly (sos guys but I'm a big snorer - always have been) and he used to softly turn me over and carry on watching the film. He never criiticised me for snoring, he never went off me because of this...instead he felt endeared to me because of this.

I wish people wouldn't use the word LOVE so fleetingly and so cheaply. OK so there's different sorts of love I know and many defintions of love; fondness, extreme attraction, romantic attachment blah blah blah. But sometimes it seems like people treat each other no better than what I'd class as a throw away society, a product to be used until they've had their fuss from that person; indispensible, to be utilised, abused, thrown out.
Maybe this is what Capitalism has done for people? Maybe our culture perpetuates this and indeed will continue to do so. I'm also not romanticising love, even though admittedly, I am a terrible romantic..does that sound odd?

I know for me, I thought hard and very carefully about ending my two long term relationships. I guess kids played a big part in this, 6 years for one and 11 years for the other. They weren't decisions that I decided over night. They came about because of years of feeling lonely, unhappy, separate, let down, let down greatly in fact.
The cogs in the wheels weren't functioning together one could say.. hence a need to split; after much thought, much trying to make things work, much hoping things may work...much realising things wouldn't work with either of the long term relationships.

I guess I've been lucky to experience the 'cosmic bolt' sort of love. I don't know if many people have felt this but I certainly have and with this comes a love that is purely and truly unconditional. It's also a love that has the potential to knock a person's balance and indeed as many writers and poets have noted, has the ability to cause great pain and insanity if misused, if abused, if taken for granted.Rather than nurturing it.
I'm glad I've felt the cosmic bolt love and maybe this has happened for a further and future reason in my life. The universe does seem to have ways of guiding one to where one should be.. Interesting, very interesting, wouldn't it be great to look through a crystal ball?
To myself I say, live for the day and stay grounded. Keep the heart grounded and keep the soul nurtured, do not be distracted, keep focussed and maintain an awareness.

4 comments:

Furtheron said...

Little word - big big meaning.

I've never had the cosmic bolt type. I'm the slow learner type. Still learning... :-)

Also I hate that you can't use the word in situations that to me are legit. I love some male friends - but you say that out loud and some will go ape at you and make assumptions about your sexuality. But I can say I love my brother or my son and frankly if I didn't say that some of the same people would freak again in another way.

Hmm - this is all about my perception of the perceptions of others isn't it. To be mused on I think...

FOUR DINNERS said...

Until I met Caz I loved beer. It never let me down.

Had a 'bolt' once. She died. Only 15 like me. Drugs.

Not a 'bolt' with Caz. Learnt about each other and grew together and the paths never went different ways too often so it worked. Had plenty of ups and downs but the ups outweigh the downs - and seeing as I caused most of the downs that's just as well!!

I tell her I love her at least once every day. She likes that 'cause she knows I'm crap at lying.

Happy New Year babe x

Sara said...

@FOUTR - Yeah amazing how a word can be so important, meaningful eh?
I think we're all still learning and then we find out and then 'pop', it's time to die LOL!

Yeah, for men I guess it can be harder and like you say, men don't always feel comfortable with hearing/saying it,,shame really..

@ 4D Ah, that's tragic about the bolt, shit 15years and taken to drugs..real sad..bless you. Glad that you and Caz are so grounded and happy..

Have wonderful New Year's guys :-)

Aunt Jackie said...

I guess I have to say that my "bolt" was "Z"... weirdest, most electric feeling I ever had... But I do love Mr. J.

Then I fear that I don't know what "Love" really is, and it worries me... I feel on very deep levels, but it's so hard to know in this life... life is a constant lesson.

I think there are different types of love, and more than one can be 'real', just different.

Great post.