Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Xmas Detox? No thanks!

I've noticed the amount of detox ads around at the moment and indeed always, after Xmas. I actually find it all pretty tiresome to be honest and pretty much aiming, to make us all feel some inherent 'guilt', for all of the crap that has passed through our mouths, during the festive season. Furthermore, if you're prone to eating disorders, then this form of advertising is downright terrible in my opinion. I'll humbly admit that I've experienced a brief spell of an eating disorder and one that luckily, I managed to get myself out of, through the realisation that I was becoming more and more obssessed with my body image and my weight.
This disorder started when I was 15 years old and because I always felt 'fat'; I had been called 'fat', but in no way was I 'fat', when I think back to this time. Indeed I was a slim 8 stone teenager.
However, not convinced that I was slim enough, I stopped eating properly, chucked my lunch away at school and ate a bar of chocolate at lunch time and a bowl of soup at night. This ritual went on and off, for a good few years, albeit with Sunday dinners chucked in to satisfy my Mum's wishes. I also became completely obssessed with exercise. I'd exercise every day without fail until I felt tired out. Luckily, I never went down the binge eating and bulimic route, as quite a few of my friends have done. If anything, I'd have probably gone down the anorexic route, if I'd have continued the same eating patterns. I managed to get my weight down to 7 stone and then felt that I could achieve dropping to 6 stone. I can totally understand how people become so obssessed about weight and indeed aspire to keep lowering their body weight; it's an addiction and one that grips you badly, if you let it and indeed let it control you in this way.I'd also say, there are often issues of control where eating disorders are involved. By this I mean, if your life feels in some way out of control, you try and control it by another means such as, food intake.
Today thankfully, I have a completely healthy attitude to food. I eat what I want, when I want. I don't guilt trip myself about my size or my body. I actually love my body, OK there are a few little things that could be changed if I was really critical but then again, my children are a reminder of the scarring I do have and so no, I wouldn't change that. All of my body works properly and I'm lucky to have a body that works for me.
I don't care about what size a people are. I actually love skin and and the feel of skin, especially when it feels so soft and inviting. I love to cuddle up to the person I love because he feels so soft and wonderfully warm to hold. His skin is scrumptious!
So, I'll be doing no detox or no food plans. I intend to increase my water intake due to the amount of alcohol I've necked back but I'll continue to eat as I would ordnarily do.
Sod you, Detox marketing - I don't need you and neither does the world!!

No comments: