Saturday, December 10, 2005

Violence to women continues

After reading the Weekend section of The Guardian today, it proves what I have been arguing about over the last 10 years of my life, through my time at college and Social Policy degree days! Kathy Viner portrayed this evidence clearly and added numerous photos of women that have been killed over the last year in the UK. Indeed women are much more likely to get abused, maimed or killed at the hands of their male partners compared to men killed by women.
These same men are often given short sentences for such crimes. Again, a fault of the law system in this country and an underrepresentation of women judges.
The added sadness about this article, is the amount of children that have lost their mothers and who probably never had much time to get to know their mothers properly. I really feel for these children, as I lost my Mum two weeks agao and this pain is one that cannot be healed by a magic drug. It will be a gnawing eternal pain throughout my life and undoubtedly throughout the lives of these poor children.
It makes you really wonder about the mentality of some of the men that commit these crimes. Not that I am immune to this, I work in probation hostels with some serious criminals. I have patience, understanding and treat these people with humanity and empathy. But still when I read the article today it made me cringe and reminded me that I'm probably teaching some of these perpetrators.
All of this made me think about society itself and the feminist arguements around power and domination. Indeed the power struggles women and men have both on a professional and domestic level.
What do I think is the solution to ending violence against women? Well, my irrational, angry self wants to commit some sort of painful torture to these men! But my kinder,empathetic, rational self wants to understand, reason and try to change this violence that continues to kill women needlessly!

1 comment:

Sara said...

I know what you mean Barnze..sometimes I don't want to know any of this..but I get really affected by such stuff.
A good friend of mine always relates life to a book written by Voltaire.
She thinks life should be about being there for your nearest and dearest, being concerned mainly with our own backgardens so to speak, cos society fucks people around ayway and always has done.
I tend to argue with her about this but we sort of agree anyway in a funny sort of way!! So I sort of understand where you're coming from Barnze. :)