Thursday, December 01, 2005

Six Feet Under, family and friends are my saviour!

Well four days after my mother's death. What a weird feeling.I've helped sort out all the bureacratic type stuff that needs sorting. I've picked the coffin and off to pick the flowers tonight.
Yesterday and Tuesday were Bad, Bad days. Thanks Barnze for preparing me mentally for those days. Your words have been really appreciated.
Now, this may sound weird, but whilst all this sadness has being going on around me, I have been somewhat comforted by certain episodes of Six Feet Under appearing in my head. Indeed yesterday whilst at the Funeral Directors business, I couldn't help comparing it to the business of the Fishers! I'd much rather have the Fisher's to be dealing with my mothers death. Indeeed they seem to be less business orientated and more empathetic and compassionate. I'm not saying that the one we chose to use isn't empathetic..but it just didn't feel as comforting as the home and atmosphere of the Fishers residence. There were no tissues on the desk for example and the woman dealing with the funeral was nowhere as compassionate as Nate or David. Indeed nowhere near as sexy as Nate!! He would be enough to take your mind off sad things!
The room that we discussed our needs in, was a small cramped office! OK we had a complementary cup of coffee, but so we should for the fuckin price they charge for burials.
My Dad made me laugh out loud about his own wishes to be buried in a biodegradable cardboard box! Non of this 'expensive nonsense' were his words!! My siblings were all almost wetting themselves in disbelief!We then went on to discuss green burials,to be told that a wicker coffin costs £600!!! My Dad continued with.."I better start weaving my own now" more laughter. How I love my Dad for his 'no nonsense' sense of humour! I suppose thats how we should cope with death. To see humour and light amongst all the sadness.
I've also been comforted greatly by going out last night with some really good, caring friends. They forced me out for a curry, with copious amounts of wine. We all ended up extremely hammered and by the end of the night my smiles and laughter had returned. Indeed these people are the sort of friends that I now realise are true, caring friends, who realised I needed to get out and in some way turn my attentions away from shock and sadness.
Today I feel rather lifted in my self. I felt a warm sensation when I placed my Mums old ring on my finger. Maybe her spirit is there around me just like the souls that pass through each episode of Six Feet Under!! Alan Ball IS a genius!

3 comments:

Sara said...

Ah cheers Barnze...will keep my spirits up..It did me good to get out the other night and I'm off out with my friend for her birthday tonight. Spent nearly 2 hours in the C.A.B today sorting out stuff, but at least it's all getting sorted! Best Wishes to you too!!

Sara said...

Yeah it seems to be getting a bit better already...got the funeral tomorrow, so a little apprehensive. Funnily enough, this sad time has enabled me to get to know my Dad on a closer level, which in many ways has been really lovely.
Amazing how death brings people either closer together or further apart.

Sara said...

My family don't do God either! However, the funeral went well and the Vicar's words were extremely comforting. I found the church service the toughest part of the day on an emotional level.
The wake at my brothers house turned the day into laughter...You bet I had one hell of a hangover yesterday!