Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Who are we?

I've always been fascinated about where I'm from. Who my ancestors are? Where I get my looks from? After watching 'Who Do You Think You Are?' again tonight, it got me thinking dear reader, about who indeed am I.

Sara= blonde, greeny, grey blue eyes that change colour depending on the light and brightness of the day. Healthy complexion - palish in winter but golden in summer, easy to tan. Voluptuous and smallish in height 5'3"!!

Research has shown that my Dad's side of the family originated from southern Ireland - County Longford. On my mother's side - all I know is that Lincolnshire was prominent.
I tend to be drawn more to my father's heritage. Indeed my ancestors on his side were immigrants from Ireland at the time of the great famine in the 1840s. Prior to that, it seems Viking influence in Ireland was present in the Longford area. My Dad's family are all blonde and possess piercing blue eyes.

Interestingly, I've always had a passion and longing for all things nordic. I loved the video to 'Knowing me' by Abba as a young child. Why? Mainly because of the certain images in this video; snow, pine trees, Norwegian style jumpers and Agnethe's beautiful blonde hair and blue eyes.
I find it interesting how children pick up on such trivial, but possibly genetically related aspects of things.

I also went through my life as a teenager pretending to be Norwegian. Indeed when I got chatted up in a club by someone that I wasn't interested in, I just pretended that I didn't speak english as a way of not having to explain myself. This form of trickery worked brilliantly because I was told on numerous occasions that I looked either Norwegian or Danish!!

In my 20s at an extremely troubled time in my life, I landed a job in of all places, Copenhagen, Denmark. Dear reader,what I experienced there was profound. I felt like I'd come home. I fitted in immediately. I loved the culture. The films. I loved the people. I loved the nature, the smell, the weather, the sea, the food. I picked up the language in 6 months with no effort. Denmark and all things danish felt like my spiritual home, my blood bond.

So dear reader, how much of who we are and where we're from, remains in our blood, our DNA?I don't know for sure if I do originate from this part of the world but instinct guides me to this conclusion. That maybe somewhere, our ancestors experiences and heritage are felt by us on a subconscious level, a level that we search for and relish once we find it.

2 comments:

Kay Richardson said...

As Popeye said: I am what I am.

Sara said...

Cheers Barnze...wow so many people sang it eh! I think the one that sticks in my head is the Shirley Bassey one!!