Sunday, July 08, 2007

Britain's Industrial History

Don't know if any of you guys have been watching the TV series 'How we built Britain' presented by David Dimbleby, but my, you really should, especially if you have an interest and fascination for the social aspects of history, architecture, philanthropy, paternalistic society..
Tonight's series was so interesting and took the viewer on a journey through Manchester, Leeds and Bradford's industrial past. My interest with this was also down to the fact that my father's family were immigrants from Ireland who fled their homeland in the 1840s to escape famine and ended up living and working in I guess, factories, in Manchester. Apparently, it wasn't uncommon for 16+ families to be living in a tiny cellar;no ventilation, no windows and a shared cooking area and fire. I guess this all brings it home to me how lucky we are in many respects compared to such times.
The programme also took the viewer to an old Mental Asylum, in west Ridings. This was so interesting and yet sad at the same time, especially when the viewer was invited to look at pictures of old patients there; you could just so much sense and indeed 'see' the sadness and despair in these peoples' eyes.

My, I'll be continuing watching this truly interesting and indeed educationally rewarding programme..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/britain/programmes/hwbb1.shtml

3 comments:

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

The theatre in Leeds that featured last night I've performed at!

YAY!

Sara said...

Nice one! It was truly gorrrrgeous, so intimate and reminded me about my recent experience of the Glee Club in Birmingham..not the decor per se, but the intimacy of the 'show' itself.

FOUR DINNERS said...

mmmm...dark satanic mills n all that. Still. No industrial revolution = no TV = no Simpsons.

Yep. It was worth it.