Monday, July 02, 2007

Island of no cars!

3 more weeks and I'm free for 3 weeks from work. Hooray! I'm extremely ready for a break. I've booked to stay in a fully equipped tent for 8 nights in Jersey near Rozel Bay, with my son. There's a lot of kids stuff for him to do and also a swimming pool, which will be heavenly for me; wake up, swim for a good half hour, breakfast, out on a mission for the day, cycle rides!
I've also been doing a little research into places to visit whilst I'm on Jersey and I do really want to sail to either Herm or Sark, both are car free islands, with Sark being a big cycling and horse and cart island - this so much appeals to me. I'd also like to head to St Malo in France for the day, as I've heard how beautiful the olf walled city is there.
Sark sounds fascinating, with it still being under feudal rule! I remember reading an article about it a long time ago but this had completely vanished from my mind...I remember then thinking how interesting this place sounded and now, purely by chance, I'm going to be spending a day, or even possibly, a night there. If I like what I see, then I may very well head off there next year for a good, peace and quiet, unpolluted holiday. Sometimes I do crave for a simpler life. Does this mean I'm getting older or just disillusioned with the western way of fast 24 hour living? Yeah, I think it's the latter!

http://www.sark.info/

1 comment:

FOUR DINNERS said...

One bit of Sark history for you. In WWII just after the Commandos were formed they practised a raid on the Channel Islands and a few bemused German prisoners were captured. The group who went to Sark found no Germans there at all and spent a pleasant few hours in a local hostelry.

Have a great time out there. It's very beautiful