Sunday, April 02, 2006

Age and Dancing

Woke up unusually early today after a fab night dancing last night. Had a bit of a smirk to myself after reading an article about the benefits of dancing. Indeed, I love dancing because it takes me to a place that is outside of my head. I get totally tuned into, the beat, rhythm and soul of music, so much so that I sometimes feel like I'm on another planet!!
Research in the U.S around anti-aging and dancing suggests the following;
Save Your Brain. Dance!
The Einstein Aging Study, summarized in June 19, 2003 New England Journal of Medicine, found that dancing helps prevent dementia.

Dementia in the study refers to both Alzheimer's disease and vascular dementia. Vascular dementia
is the 2nd most common form of dementia after Alzheimer's.
The study included participants in six brain-stimulating hobbies - reading, writing for pleasure, doing puzzles, board games or playing cards, group discussions and playing music.

The study also included participants in 11 physical activities including team sports, swimming, bicycling and dance.

Dance was the only physical activity that benefited the brain. This was attributed to the cerebral rather than the physical aspect of dance.

Researchers found that the relationship between the mind-stimulating effects of dancing, as well as in the above six types of hobbies, and the lowered risk of dementia remained strong even after they allowed for
variables such as age, sex and education.

Frequency of activity also was important! 63% lower than that among subjects in the lowest third. We
believe this emphasizes the importance of engaging in a regular program of dancing.

The need to learn and remember numerous dance movements produces a constant and very beneficial challenge to the brain.

The social aspects of dancing, the relaxation it produces and the joy of dancing also is involved. The sense of accomplishment and confidence acquired by successfully completing a dance with a partner are beneficial, as well.

Fitness, both mental and physical, often begins with one's state of mind.

Mental acuity comes from mental exercise and if you're dancing, you're not sitting at home watching TV or felling sorry for yourself. This applies to everyone of all ages. Among mind-stimulating activities, dancing is unique in that it also provides beneficial physical exercise.

Many people have gotten the message. That's why we see increasing numbers of people of all ages having the time of their lives on dance floors all over the county. They are receiving a double payoff, mental and physical.

Keep Your Brain Alive!
Go Dancing!


The study, by scientists at the Rush Alzheimer's Disease Center and Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Center in Chicago, Illinois, USA, appeared in the February 13, 2002 edition of the Journal of the American Medical Association.

Too bloody right I say! That's made me feel great about all my hardened years of clubbing and mental dancing!Reaffirming my belief that, after all my mental dancing and partying, I'll end up with a fully functioning brain and possibly still attend the odd dance now and then when I'm in my 9os!

Dance and party on folks!!

2 comments:

Musicgirl said...

Hey:) I'm a firm believer in this sort of occurance...I am in the process now of becoming a Board Certified Music Therapist. It's amazing how the "arts" serve as remedies...

Sara said...

Hey :)
Good you popped by.I agree.

It's a shame our Governments don't recognise this more.