Saturday, April 08, 2006

Offenders and poetry

What a joyful feeling I had this week after holding a poetry workshop in one of the probation hostels I teach in. Japanese Haiku was discussed and students were encouraged to write a Haiku. (5 syllables/7 syllables/5 syllables in this case)
Student X wrote a fantastic, symbolic Haiku about life in a hostel and light at the end of a tunnel. It was wonderful.
It worked out that Student X loves poetry and could confidently reel off Wordsworth, Keats and Byron. This student experiences severe schizophrenia on a daily basis;He sings and hums tunes to drown out the voices whilst I teach and whilst he writes.
I noticed throughout the session how 'alive' people became whilst writing poems and talking about poetry, it was almost like a light had been switched on.
I came away from that day feeling wonderful and motivated. I felt these things because the students I taught this day, switched on, became alive, were human amongst the chaos of their life in a hostel.
I felt humbled in the sense that, I had brought some happiness in their lives, for a small moment.

4 comments:

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

I like days like that.

Sara said...

Dan - yes they make the job worhwhile that's for sure.

Barnze - Yes, it has its rewards especially when you can visibly see people's 'lights turning on'

FOUR DINNERS said...

Japanese haiku? Oo-ek. Can I stay schizo instead. I couldn't even do an English one!

Brill you can get people with probs into stuff. Good on yer.

Heidi Grether said...

Home schooled my daughter. That was the paycheck, seeing the light in her eyes come on, the joy of that moment in her face when she "got it", her sense of accomplishment, how her self esteem got real tall, at least in that moment. . . that was the joy of teaching. How wonderful for you and for your students. Many more of those moments to you!