Saturday, April 22, 2006

In praise of ee cummings

What a grand spring day it is today. I've been wondering around my hometown, took my son to a cafe for a hot chocolate with cream (has to have cream on top). Treated myself to some flowers and then got sidetracked by the poetry of ee cummings inside my head!! I love his poetry - in many ways it's truly liberating and easy to relate to, well for me it is anyway!!
Here's one of his poems that's been invading my thoughts today!

i like my body when it is with your
i like my body when it is with your
body. It is so quite a new thing.
Muscles better and nerves more.
i like your body. i like what it does,
i like its hows. i like to feel the spine
of your body and its bones, and the trembling
-firm-smooth ness and which i will
again and again and again
kiss, i like kissing this and that of you,
i like, slowly stroking the, shocking fuzz
of your electric fur, and what-is-it comes
over parting flesh . . . . And eyes big love-crumbs,

and possibly i like the thrill

of under me you quite so new

3 comments:

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

ee cummings

now you

are




talking...

Sara said...

Ain't he just something else Dan? I love his stuff, I really do! :)

FOUR DINNERS said...

who knows if the moon's
a balloon, coming out of a keen city in the sky - filled with pretty people?
(and if you and i should

get into it, if they
should take me and take you into their balloon,
why then
we'd go up higher with all the pretty people

than houses and steeples and clouds:
go sailing
away and away sailing into a keen
city which nobody's ever visited, where
always
it's
Spring) and everyone's
in love and flowers pick themselves