Thursday, November 17, 2005

What planet are some fuckers on!!

After watching Newsnight last night, it reminded of how divided the planet is. Some company in the US is trying to sell wind up powered laptops to Africa. Now, at first I thought what a great idea! But then my cynical alter ego stepped in to remind me 'why the fuck am I getting drawn into this'. OK I'm all for wind-up laptops from an environmental level, but shouldn't schools and Aids treatment be a more urgent necessity?
After further debate about this on Newsnight, it seems that the best way forward for spending money on developing countries is to invest in healthcare, education and the countries much needed infrastructure. It makes me sick to the stomach to see how wasteful and consuming the west in comparison to poorer countries has become. Indeed the west has it's own issues of wealth divide that I find hard to digest on a daily level!
Well, thought I'd found a new friend to go art gallerying and cafes with, but I've ruined that glimmer of hope! So I think I'll just have to go out with my mad friends on a mad red wine and curry night. At least that will add the flames to my feminist passions and political desires.

No comments: