Monday, September 25, 2006

Great to get away!

As you know, I went off to Edale last weekend to celebrate my 39th with some close friends. Gotta say, it was great; great to be out there in the frsh air and open space of the peaks. God, how I'd soooo love to live there.

Here's the story of my weekend;

1. Set off Saturday with a friend and met some others along the way.
2. Hit the camping barn, unloaded and headed off on a beautiful, scenic walk, part way up an area known as Grindsbrook.
3. Sat down for an alcohol and chill out time on a grassy verge overlooking a stream for 30 mins. Drank red wine and got a little high. Giggled my head off at fuck knows what!!
4. Went to the pub and started to get rather inebriated.
5. Ate food.
6. Headed to the next pub and did the Edale 2 pub, pub crawl.
7. Went back to camping barn. Lit candles as there was NO electricity/lighting.
8. Opened bottle of champagne - well, a cheap alternative!
9. Had lots of laughter and fun.
10. Woke up in the middle of the night to go on a wander, on my own, in the darkness - nerarly shit myself, as two sheep were staring at me as I opened the barn door.
11. Woke up at 8 and woke my mates up by being the most energetyic soul, with a hangover.
12. Ate a big breakfast and went for a big walk up to Hollins Cross near Castleton and then on to Mam Tor -Totally exhilerating and splendid views to die for.
13. Left edale, after the walk and headed to The Castle Hotel for an evening dinner.
14. Returned home about 8pm.

I really needed this break. In fact, I feel that I need to do this sort of thing every other weekend, rather than hanging out in random clubs, getting evermore bored.
The feeling that you get when you're at one with nature, is second to none and reminds you what is really important in life; what life and people really mean to me.

I loved every minute of my stay. My friends were wonderful and fun.

The worst thing was coming back to the grind and the same old scene. I keep looking for jobs out there in Sheffield at colleges and the like, as I do feel that one day, I need to escape Nottingham and be closer to nature and the hills.

So.....I've now booked another 2 nights stay in a hotel in Castleton for a right good bargain of £59, in a double bedded room - all to myself, in October half term week. Can't fookin wait!

2 comments:

Aunt Jackie said...

Well, Happy Healthy Birthday!! God your post makes me want to go out of town... In fact, I'm going to have to soon... Sounded fun.

Doogie Talons said...

I am a keen archer and get out of Nottingham once a week to go shooting 3d targets in the woods. ( Would never shoot real animals, unless of course I had to eat and lived in a post apocolyptic world surrounded by the undead... or something )

I know what that peace is like. You draw back the string eye the target and for that second before you release your mind clears in a way confusus would be envious.

Happy Birthday ( Bit late I know )