Tuesday, September 12, 2006

People Move On

Well, recently some very good friends of mine are moving on to new pastures. One couple are off to Australia and another couple are off to Mauritius. It's sort of odd and sad to think about losing these friends as there's so much history with them. Friend 1 who's off to Australia, I met whilst i was doing an Access Course in 1994. We both headed off to Nottingham Uni together - she studied English literature and I studied Social and Cultural studies and Social Policy. I have fond memories of my friend's partners 30th birthday, one August, in their backgarden. Music, wine, drumming, great atmosphere, newly 'in love' with my then partner; the world seemed like a good place to be alive in. My friend was and still is in some respects a practising pagan. Through my own interest in spirituality and Earth worship, I gained alot of knowledge from her about Paganism and Solitary Paganism. She was also so kind to complete birth charts for my children and I. I love these birth charts as they do actually hold quite a fair bit of truth in them, I've noticed, as time's gone by.

Friend 2 - has been a constant in my life since 1992. I met her through her then boyfriend. They always seemed like the 'everlasting, happy couple'. I've shared so many great times with this couple; camping in Edale,visiting London, getting stoned and wasted together, listened to music, gone to gigs, meals, parties etc etc. They were extremely close to me whilst they were a couple. I supported my friend after the birth of her son and the break up of her relationship, which came as a shock to us all;no-one ever thought he'd end up in the arms of another woman. That made me realise that people on the outside can look so happy to the onlooker, but underneath all of that facade, there often lies secrecy, deceit, anger, unhappiness and resentment. I was truly gutted when my friend and her partner spilt up cos they'd been such 'soulmates' in many ways, to me and my then partner. As time's moved on, so has our relationship as friends. I don't see her that often but when I do, it's always special, fun, sweet, happy.

I therefore look forward to a week on Friday, as my friends and I are all meeting and going out for a 'farewell curry'. It'll be strange for me cos my ex partner will be missing from the 'once part of' equation but it'll be lovely to share and possibly cry about the special times, changes, upset etc, in our lives.

I also hope now, to visit Mauritius next year. I have an invite and just need to save my dosh to get out there, as accommodation is free!

So, I do hope the best for my friends, and I write this with a bit of a lump in my throat and a heart that feels a little weighted down, by sorrow's heaviness. Ironically, listening to Jen en connais pas by Jeff Buckley, is really giving me that feel of nostalgia too.

1 comment:

Doogie Talons said...

I hate it when people move on, my buddy Dan from Blurred Clarity left my place of work, after really shaking it up and showing a big mirror to the buggers in a way I dare not. But he's doing fine, I read his blog and see his shows. even speak every now and again. I'm just glad the monkey at least past through. Like the littlest Hobo he came, made a few changes, and left me whistling "There's a place keeps on calling me...."

Besides when he's rich and famous I will be able to dine out on my tenuous link with him.

And as you depart from your dear friends it is probably best the leaving curry is not ruined with the ex being in the equation any longer, you no more need to "Carry the 1" perhaps it's not a part of the equation you need to be accosiated with "sweet" sorrow.

Stay Sharp... and cheerful :)