Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Death of a Legend

As you may be aware, Ingmar Bergman died a few weeks back, which saddened me greatly cos I've always loved the depth and profoundness of his films. I watched the documentary on BBC2 about him last night and really enjoyed it, followed by the 3/4 of Saraband. Sadly, I was too tired to stay up and watch the last part - a dvd will suffice at a later date. Saraband really did strike me, when henrik declared the sort of love he and Anna shared. I can relate to what Bergman was portraying through these two people, who were so connected by their understanding and their love for one another. I really must watch more Bergman films again and remind myself about how much a genius this man is.
Apart from this joy, I've had quite a few tough days..I'm trying to understand so many things which I really won't go into detail about..I'm trying to fathom the whys and wherefors.. and I do understand so many things but I didn't realise some things aswell. I didn't realise my beloved still was so much in love with his ex..I guess I thought it was all old news and done and dusted - apparently not, so it seems. Oh dear me, all of my energy of writing and emotions, have they been a complete waste? All of my understanding and kindness, has this been a waste? I really hope not because 2 1/2 years is a long time out of life to give so much deep friendship to have it thrown away. I don't usually give up on friends and when I'm in love, I never give up..
I guess I'm feeling a mix of emotions right now, sadness, worry, confusion, understanding, hope, despair, love.. I heard a radio 4 discussion the other day and it said that

'Love is eternal, it really is and can bring light when darkness prevails'

I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment I truly do...even though love can have the capacity to stir the most animal like emotions aswell in people, it also has the ability to aid healing...

I may go and watch another Bergman film now...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bergman was certainly a big loss. I still have the tape to watch myself (as long as the video worked!)

The other great loss this week, for me, was Tony Wilson of Joy Division / Manchester / happy Mondays fame.

Enjoying the poems here. Nice to flip through the next blog button and find something other than pictures of cats.

Sara said...

Ahh yeah, Tony Wilson - Factory Records, sad loss indeed! Joy Division always take me to a deep place - I guess Bergmanish too on some level.
Glad you enjoyed the poems here too, Pop by again, it's good to have some new input too!
x

FOUR DINNERS said...

Bergman was a bit heavy for me. Talented certainly but too heavy.

Now Tony Wilson. That is a loss and a half.

Mind you I'm still here so what the hell?

Aunt Jackie said...

I need to see more films... I don't ever have anyone to go with me though. Mr. J doesn't like the theatre... (sigh).

Really cool post.