Friday, September 14, 2007

The Power of Opera

I've always been a big music fan and this means most music. I don't like to pigeonhole myself re.a certain type or genre. To me, pigeonholing oneself, is narrowing your mind instead of expanding the mind. As a 3 year old T rex was my love and glam rock. My Mum especially loved music aswell, maybe this was because she grew up in a musical family; my Grandmother played the piano and would go and play in pubs late at night, whilst her children slept peacefully. It's a shame that our generation aren't so dependent on making their own music due to all of the other stimulants that surround us such as TV, PC games, CDs. I'm not saying these are all bad but I guess I like the thought of olden day families singing or indeed listening to a family member playing an instrument and having a good, old, sing song.
Anyway, my love of classical music started when i was in infant school. As we all walked into the old school hall, with its wooden, polished floorboards and beeswax smell, there would always be a classical music track being played on the old type tape recorder - way back then, this used to really move me, as it does today.
Fast forward my time as an Au pair in Denmark, I got heavily into Vivaldi and The Four Seasons. The music fitted so well to how I felt when I was there; extremely happy, carefree and had met some lovely, beautiful people who meant a lot to me and still do to this very day.
Fast forward even further to the death of my Mum and the choice of music for her funeral - Sarah Brightman and Andre Bocelli. Beautiul music.
Besides all of this, I've always been intrigud by the life of Maria Callas;her affair with Onassis and the depth of sorrow and hardship she endured due to her powerful love that wasn't being fed how she wanted it to be.
So, as I listen to opera singers and their music, they literally move my emotions so much, that I cry tears of reflection,sadness, happiness, contemplation, loss, love, missing loved ones and all of the things that music has the power to do to the emotions.
Long live Music!

1 comment:

FOUR DINNERS said...

Opera is magnificent.

Watched a tribute to Marc Bolan last night as it happens. I was more Bowie than Bolan mind.

Apparently Elton John is replacing Pavarotti in the Three Tenors - henceforth known as Two Tenners & a Nine Bob Note...

....I'll get me coat...