Friday, May 16, 2008

Summer is coming....

I spent hours today looking for a summer holiday for me and my son, I can' afford it but damn me, I'm not gonna have some reward for working and burning myself out over the past year! I checked out package deals, hols in the UK, budget websites, camping places, YHA places etc etc. The package deals seemed to penalise me financiall, due to being 1 adult and child - in other words, not a family of 3 etc..In the end, I came across a small island called Agistri, off the mainland of Greece - 45 mins by boat. I reckoned that this would be a better choice for my son as originally, Naxos was my preferred destination but the ferry is a long one at 7 hours from mainlan. My son suffers from travel sickness and I didn't fancy him having a long flight and then a long ferry crossing - I feel this is one to do when my son is grown up and I'm travelling alone or with a partner.

So, the holiday? I managed to pick up some decent priced flights to Athens - 150 each..I then found a decent looking hostel in Pireaus, where we'll stay for the night before catching the boat the following day..I thought we may have a little time to go and see The Acropolis in Athens but time will tell..if not then, then maybe another day.
I found a decvent priced family owned hotel in the main village Milos, which has a tiny harbour and beaches..the hotel has a small swimming pool - always what I want when I go away and indeed always good fun for my son. I recieved a very sweet email from the owner of the hotel offering me a studio room, facing the swimming pool with balcony for 9 nights at 420, for my son and me - that's cheaper than I'd pay for a cottage or static van in the UK in August!

Agistri is a tiny island and apparently you can walk across it in 3 hours or so; it's full of pine forests, olive and fig groves - sounds delightful! I've decided that my son and I could hire bikes and visit the 3 main villages and do some forest cycling..I also guess we could take a trip to the neighbouring islands, esepcially Hydra and Aegina and maybe a famous outdoor amphitheatre, which I forget the name of!

So, here's to the summer and a new lease of life by visiting this beautiful and mythological part of the world!

1 comment:

Furtheron said...

Sounds good.

Don't worry about the discounts etc. we're a nuclear family of four and we struggle. When you've a boy who is 5 years older than his sister the days of them sharing a bedroom finished quite early to some degree and then we always needed three bedrooms and that caused grief. Our whole USA holiday a couple of years back he slept on sofa beds in the "lounge" of the room which was a little rough on him. Whilst daughter shared with us in the "family" room