Friday, July 18, 2008

My Lucky Son

I spoke to my Son's Father Jorgen, today - the aim was to speak to my son but, unbeknown to me, he's now in Sweden (Sverige as the Swedish name in reality is) staying at his Uncle's Mum's summerhouse in a Forest, near a lake, just outside of Goteborg (Gothenburg!) Lucky bloody him, lucky that he gets so many wonderful opportunities to see these wondrous places at such a tender age.
Trouble is, at 17 years old, I don't think you really appreciate the beauty of such places because all you're bothered about is mates, hanging out, girls, music etc etc.
His Dad also informed me that the Danish developers are starting to take down the 'wooden self build structures' that have been built around Christiania. This really saddened me because this is like 30+ years, of alternative living history being wiped away. I'm not a big fan of development and I think Copenhagen retains its attractiveness to many tourists because of places like Christiania. The thing is too, Christiania is situated on a beautiful piece of prime land in that, it's a big lake surrounded by nature, woods - a calm in the middle of the city, you could almost say. Very sad if the whole place goes, very sad indeed. The news brought a tear to my eye because I have so many fond memories of the place and I guess really, it would be worth me visiting there again before they demolish the lot - if indeed, they continue to. I urged my son's Father Jorgen, to show Anton this place because it's an important part of Danish history and indeed, an alternative way to how people have lived for so many years. Again, he may not appreciate it now but in years to come, I do think Anton will regret never seeing Christiania, if it does finally go.
I also told his Dad about a massive rave taking place just outside of Christinia, which I think Anton would love! He likes his drum and Bass and hip hop and this could be a good way for him to finally see how the young Danes like to Party!
It's funny how as adults, we assume or indeed hope kids/teens will like certain things when in reality, all they really seem to want are good friends, no trouble from anyone, a bit of money to spend and a place to hang out..As a parent, I want Anton to experience as many things as possible but then I have to remember, we're all individuals and have different personalities.I was extrovert and adventurous at 18 years old and I can't measure my son's quiet and chilled personality by my yardstick. A funny things is being a parent and seeing your kids grow and develop..All I know is, that Anton has been very lucky in that he's had an extended Danish family who have been extremely wonderful to him along his formative years and I feel truly grateful for this and indeed, that me and his Dad/Family have retained good, healthy relationships even though we've been apart for so many years!

No comments: