Sunday, November 09, 2008

Seeking Direction..

Over the last year or so, I've been pondering my job and the possibility of doing something different..Don't get me wrong, I enjoy what I do but I feel like we are more and more confined by funding elements and learner achievement more and more hence, I take you to my point of this post.
Last night I went to a friend's 30th birthday celebrations, who I used to work alongside in a hostel but who was employed by a different organisation. I got chatting to an colleague with whom I also worked alongside many years back and who now is responsible for development and taking their organisation forward. I was discussing my dilemma about teaching issues and the need to teach one thing at a time rather than facilitate a range of different subjects, which makes me feel like I'm a trainer rather than a 'teacher'.
Anyway, my old colleague who I know has a lot of respect for me and my work, suggested that I contact someone and put certain feelers out with regards the possibility of a job that needs creating within the organisation. Tempted? I am and I hope I do make contact with this person..My friend whose 30th it was, also suggested I go and do some sessional teaching with her for a couple of hours and maybe with time, pick up further work along the way..She said she'd love to have me on board and work would be there.
However, this is all well and good but when a job has a certain sense of security with it, sometimes it's hard to take the jump and break away somewhat..
I don't know, maybe I'm just at a turning point with regards this and things will unfold as they should do but the dilemma is there and the direction a little confused..
Maybe a visit to the countryside might be the solution. I feel the need to get out into wide open space and beings as though I haven't been to the countryside for a while, maybe it's time..I could take myself off on a ramble in The Peaks, get all cold and windswept and then warm up in a country pub near the fire. I could enjoy the last remnants of autumnal colours and leaf fall..leaf fall is so beautiful to watch and this year, England's autumn colours seem so much more vibrant than last year..So yes, I think a visit to the countryside is well and truly due..

My oldest son is possibly going to be moving to Denmark after Xmas. We've recently had many rows and the like which I guess is pretty normal for teens and parents and now I feel it may be time to have some time with his Dad. He's been mentioning moving over there for a while and although lots of angry words and home truths have been spoken with his Father, things have cooled as I knew they would and a solution and compromise has been made. Indeed, it may well be that my son moves out there after Xmas and stays with family and indeed, will have a job to walk into almost immediately. It's been proving really hard for him to find work here and this hanging around doing nothing is tiring and unhealthy for him and indeed, me. So we'll see, time as always, is the teller with such things..

2 comments:

humanobserver said...

You have strong positive thoughts.... And listen to your inner voice....

Furtheron said...

Lots of resonation with this post. I'm still in the "should I stay or should I go" mode here. Sadly they pay me bloody well and I have a lot of benefits in terms of location, people, etc.

Tune into what you feel is right and good luck.

I hope things go well with your son as well. I went to Denmark years ago when my son was quite young - I remember it being a really nice place with lovely people. We stayed on a pig farm out in the country. Very flat. The family who hosted us were really great people. Happy memories.