Monday, November 17, 2008

Thoughts for Monday

So, a rather hectic day today and indeed, I'm now tired and ready for my bed - Decided to visit A last night and watch Fight Club with him and just chill drinking tea and taking things easy, which was a nice ending to the weekend and lovely to spend this sort of precious and normal time together..
I cycled back in the early hours and managed to feel fresh for work and ready for teaching in the new hostel that I'm assigned to. I have a really enthusiatic learner who works like a Trojan and hasn't been in educatiuon for years - this is wonderful to see such motivation and enthusiasm!
I listened to an interesting discussion on R4 today about children and the demonisation of them by adults. I feel for our young today and don't get me wrong, I can certainly lose my rag with my kids at times but the survey carried out about demonisation was shocking to say the least about how a lot of adults view kids and teens; pains in the arse, fit for nothing, waste of space etc etc..Nasty stuff. It always amazes me when people moan about kids playing on the streets together..I love to see kids out playing with each other, it's a form of social interraction and bonding and without this, I fear kids lose out on some thing vital about getting to know others without parental control.

We live in strange times and if demonisation of kids is so prominent, then what future society will we hold for the next generation of kids? I wonder..

No comments: