Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Time and Fear

So, my travelling journey to my new workplace, seems to take ages expecially when I use the bus! I try to use the train cos it's a 5 minute journey and avoids traffic which, trust me, is much better than being stuck 'in' traffic! Thank god for bus lanes I say!
Anyway, today a new learner joined me. I asked where he was from to which, he became hesitant and fearful about telling me. I guess this is because, with time, he told me that he is from Iraq and my assumption is, feels under pressure about this due to the bad press and relations between the US/UK and Iraq. I may be wrong here but it made me feel sad for him regarding this. Anyway, he will be joining my sessions to improve his english and although I'm not an ESOL teacher, it will be a challenge and a pleasure to teach a foreign learner. His wife and him seem extremely polite and kind, something I've always found with learners from this part of the world.
I had to attend a really important meeting today with an OFSTED inspector which wasn;t so daunting and indeed, gave us the chance to air a few things. One of which, I have concers that the NUS body charges vulnerable and low income learners a fee to obtain an NUS card, which for my learners, is a real issue!

So there we have it, important meeting over, new learners joining me and a feeling that life is flowing nicely!

I think I am going to stop my counselling aswell..in some ways it helps but in other ways, I know I work though my issues in my own ways and via friends. I don't want to drag up issues from my past anymore, I want to move forward and let life flow positively..I know other factors can sometimes interrupt one's happiness but I guess the key is to address these and move to a positive place..I feel in a positive place right now and I'm glad about this, I really am.

No comments: