Sunday, August 13, 2006

Back in Perspective

Wasn't in a mood for partying last night but it did me the world of good. It was my mates 40th Birthday, held in a small pub in Dunkirk/lenton. At first I felt a little apprehensive, as I was there amongst many people I'd never met before and the people I was expecting to turn up, didn't! So, it forced me to spark up conversations with strangers, which in fact, turned out really good.
Got chatting to an older guy from Australia about the landscape out there and my wish to see 'Uluru' at some point in my life. Interesting fact that I never realised is, that alot of Australia's land mass is desert!!
Also had an interesting conversation with someone who used to study Fine Art at Trent Poly (when it was a polytechnic) Interesting to talk to him about the 80s and how things/attitudes have changed so much regarding women's issues and the increasing 'sexualistion and objectification' of the female. What is worrying is the fact that women were pretty active on a 'feminist' level in the 80s and it seems in some ways, many women today don't really think about sexual objectification'. Really enjoyed this discussion and reminded me why I've always felt so strongly about such issues.
Also spoke about family life and how the 'modern' family is so different from when I was a child. Indeed my own family is far from traditional, as was the guys I was talking to. Indeed we both had kids from different partners and we both agreed that it's difficult to live together with someone on a long term level.
A comment from him, that's stuck in my head, is that he views the changes in family life good and a 'modern' way of being. Indeed as long as kids are loved, a good constructive relationship can be maintained between ex's, and support and understanding are present, then the 'modern' family is one to be proud of and indeed praise. I'm glad I had this conversation with someone who holds these views and has experienced continual change in their own life as a father.It reminded me that everything's OK with me, that my life's moving on to exciting and interesting times.It also reminded me how lucky I am to have such good 'healthy relationships'with both of my ex's and that we can all get along in positive and supportive, civilised ways.
Luckily, the pub served after hours which prevented me from heading off into the city cos I know if I'd have done this, it would've ruined the friendly vibe I felt at the party. Necked back a few too many drinks but I came home feeling pretty happy with more clarity in my head, than before I went out.

And tonight........I'm gonna sit down in silence for a moment and contemplate life. I'm then gonna put on an episode of Six Feet Under to give me that desired 'hit' that I so love. Happy Sunday people! x

3 comments:

FOUR DINNERS said...

Sounds like my kind of party - necking back a few too many. Glad yer enjoyed yerself. Worked Sat and Sunday day shift. Mon/Tue nightshifts. What's a weekend?

Sara said...

Yeah a good night indeed. Nice to be around quite a few like minded people too. Ahh 4D I'm sending you thoughts of boozy weekends :)

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

It's good being thrown together with people you don't know.I