Monday, May 29, 2006

Travelling the world in cyber space

Well, I've recently discovered the joys of Google Earth. I've spent ages wondering around cyber space and looking at different countries. My first stop was Naxos, a small island in the Greek Cyclades set of islands.
My, it was truly lovely visiting there again after so many years! I was last there, in the skin, in 1987 as part of a backpacking trip for 6 weeks.This trip took in, Crete, Naxos, Sifnos, Sikinos, Folegandros, Milos and Santorini.
Once on Naxos I remained there for a week due to my love of this place. I camped on the beach there on Aghia Anna and drank in the small taverna. I also made a bamboo shelter as part of my temporary accommodation. The tranquility of this place was one to die for.
As you can see, I instantly fell in love with Naxos and vowed to visit there again. Naxos does have some great mythical history involving Greek Gods and Godesses; Ariadne, Dionysis for example. The buildings and culture of this island tugged at my heart when I left and for many years later, hence my continuing feel of urgency to revisit Naxos. I will get back there soon. Where there's a will there's a way is my motto!!

2 comments:

FOUR DINNERS said...

And the Greeks had a word for it....or some'at like that....don't mind me I'm pissed again n babblin' n I hope yer get back there soon.

Sara said...

I really want to get back there, so much so, that I've been pricing up flights, ferries and camping costs and I reckon I could get there for about £250 plus my camping fees of £132 for 14 days!! God I want to sample that awful Greek wine again - Retsina! Lethal fucking stuff that is.
And...don't worry about the babbling, you endured some of my worst rants ever!! :)