Monday, May 08, 2006

A Wholesome Distraction


After a 'heady' weekend, I decided that this week I need to focus on escapism from my head. Therefore I've decided to spend my time in the world of my favourite films.
Last night was an old favourite, Paris Texas by Wim Wenders. What a true classic this film is. The scenery is breathtaking, the storyline tugs at my heart, the music by Ry Cooder fits the atmosphere perfectly. The acting by Harry Dean Stanton and Natassja Kinski is outstanding and emotionally believable.
I love the storyline in this film, indeed it struck a chord with me way back in the late 80s, the first time I ever saw it. The story focusses on what can happen when 'love breaks down' and obsession, jealousy and destructive forces take a hold of the psyche.
The reality of how frail and yet destructive we can be as humans is cleverly highlighted. The quest for solace and peace, going back to our source, when all has gone amok, is also wonderfully shown.
Imagine that, walking to the middle of nowhere for 4 years! 4 years of being mute,of seeing no-one, of forgetting time, people, words, history and love, yet surviving through it all - My that's one hell of an achievement.

3 comments:

FOUR DINNERS said...

Class film I can only watch alone to avoid embarrasment.

Sara said...

Ain't it just! One of my ever, ever favourites!

Matt said...

Hello!

I am contacting you because I am working with the authors of a book about blogs, and I'd like to request permission to use the photograph you have posted in this book. Please contact me at matt@wefeelfine.org, and I'd be happy to give you more information about the project. Please paste a link to your blog in the subject field. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Matt