Sunday, June 17, 2007

Public Enemy No 1

Public Enemy, one of my favourite Hip Hop bands and lyricists. Why then, can't I access their website, I ask you? I know for a fact that these guys get into a load of trouble and strife for their thought provoking, truthful, politicised lyrics, even though they live in a society that perpetuates the belief in ideals of freedom and liberty; Irony at it's best!
Anyway, here's me trying to access their website to find out what these guys are up to now and when indeed, they may be touring the UK again. Can I get on to read about them..I seem to have come across a site that mentions that their web space has been shutdown..Is this the case? Is it true that good old Bushy Boy, has shut them down? Next thing you know, I'll be banned from using my PC for being a Public Enemy sympathiser. Extreme bollocks.

The world is becoming a strange place and George Orwell, knocks it all on the head really, when you think about 1984.

Maybe we should all walk around like little clones, who don't give a shit about anything and don't question what's happening in our back yards and beyond. Bury our heads in the sand, wear the latest fashio clothes and buy the latest accessories to accompany our clothing, then go to crappy clubs and think that we're having a good time when in fact, we're surrounded by some of the most pretentious, unaware people you may ever wish to meet! Not that I blame these people or indeed don't like them, more to the point, I wish they'd become more politicised and mobilised. God, I sound like Bush mobilising his troops to Iraq!

Anyway, back to Public Enemy, I love these guys, I saw them at Rock City a while back. I loved every minute of the gig - it has to be said, these guys certainly know how to 'mobilise' the crowd. I think my favourite word today is 'mobilise', which is making me laugh out loud, in my active brain today.
I always have fond memories of listening and dancing to their sounds way back in the 80s at The Garage and loving it. Somehow the 80s and clubbing had such a different feel than it does now, more political, more conscious and more active. Emily Haines, front woman for Metric and solo singer, interestingly mentions in an interview that I watched recently, that she looked forward to gigging in the UK because as she puts it
'These kids don't give a shit'

This in a sense excites her - maybe beacause she may well want to mobilise these kids in a similar fashion to good old, Bushy boy but in the 'war on consumerism and overprescription of anti depressants' sense.

So I guess there's still some Public Enemies crawling out of the woodwork but damned, I wish the US would mobilise cyberspace and let me access Public Enemy's website. Bastards!

3 comments:

FOUR DINNERS said...

George Orwell was just a couple of decades too early. Wherever you are in the UK smile. You're on camera.

Aunt Jackie said...

Are you trying this website??

http://www.publicenemy.com/

Here's one with Vids

http://video.publicenemy.com/

Sara said...

Yeah trying that website..Hmmm :(
Will check again though.Thanx!