Friday, June 01, 2007

Credit to......

Emily Haines and Michael Andrews. These musicians are awesome, truly awesome. Emily Haines of earlier Metric fame and Michael Andrews of Donnie Darko film score fame, completely stood up to how I thought they would.
To watch Michael Andrews play guitar last night, was a pleasure and an honour;this man puts his soul into his playing and his lyrics. In a similar vein to Nick Drake, his sounds were touching, sad, melancholic, cosmic. Indeed his lyrics were some of the cosmic (est) lyrics I've heard in a long time.. The cool thing too with him and his fellow musician, is that they are travelling England to their gigs by train! How cool is that? How admirable that these guys are carrying their instruments et al, on the British public transport system. This guy is one for me to watch in the future;such a vulnerability, sensitivity and passion for his music, made me shed a fair few tears.
Emily Haines reminded me partly, of The Delgadoes, in a funny sort of way..Her piano playing and crystal voice were beautiful, reflective and again deeply touching the soul. I absolutely loved a track called something along the lines of 'Sexual Suicide' - poignant lyrics set against thoughtful sounds of the grand piano and synthed sections - wow!
I also enjoyed the Glee Club in Birmingham. Such an intimate,cosy venue..to be seated right next to the musicians felt so fantastic and real.. I will definitely be going there again. After the show, my friend and I rounded the night in a pre theatre gay bar, which too, was a pleasure to be in, with a good vibe. Luckily, my friend's new found 'festival love' offered us a lift home as he was due to visit my friend anyway this weekend and lives near Birmingham..He's a gem. I foresee an igniting love between them, right in front of my own eyes.

It's strange really cos all of my friends are becoming attached to someone and I'm unattached and have been for quite some time and the irony is, that the person I wanted some further attachment to, doesn't have the same sort of love for me, as I do him; the 'in love' scenario.
I guess that's what you call life and hard luck really. I guess this is now my time to be alone for quite some time. I don't search for love ever, love comes to you, in my opinion. The cosmic forces play their part where love's concerned, at least that's what I think.

1 comment:

FKJ said...

YO

just saw emily and michael in amsterdam at the paradiso and second all the above.

in short. amazing.
could write more but am still a tad overwhelmed.