Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Support

I had a visit from a colleague today, my line manager. She said I looked tired and after much discussion, she thought I was definitely not ready to come back to work. She informed me that everything would be fine for the rest of the year, if indeed, I need such time out. We discussed the whys and wherefors about my exhaustion but I din't go to heavily into my personal stuff; The past few years have been a test emotionally and I guess the break with A the issues with my teen son and the move at work, sort of, were like the final nail in my emotional coping coffin.

I feel very supported from work and from my line manager. I found talking to her for too long a struggle and indeed, felt like my head was hurting and in need of complete silence and peace. Thinking about work started to panic me and indeed, made me become stressed and anxious.

I think this has been heading my way for some time but I just haven't seen the signs and indeed, have buried my head in 'just getting on with it', 'being strong', 'partying hard to escape' etc etc..

I've been reseaching the internet about such breakdowns in emotions and found this which I think is maybe what I'm experiencing..

Collapse in social roles: Inability to keep doing day-to-day job and playing your usual part in family/ social life.

Emotional: Constant worrying, anxiety, feeling everything is out of your control and you are trapped.

Why does it happen?
Breakdowns are caused by the interaction of the internal and the external, yet there is always a trigger or catalyst. Breakdowns are often associated with a major life event, such as a bereavement or a broken relationship. Whether such life events cause a breakdown depends upon the individual's ability to cope with the situation. Those who are more vulnerable at the time are therefore more at risk.



Breakthrough
It's not all bad - if you receive the right treatment a breakdown can be turned into a breakthrough. If well managed it can enlighten the person as to what went wrong, and help them to come out the other side as a better person. It can teach you about yourself and your coping strategies and help you deal better with stress and challenging situations in the future.


I found this info interesting, enlightening, could relate to it completely and indeed, that there is a light at the end of the dark tunnel..Time and peace are a great healer..I'm tempted to book a stay away in a cottage in Wales. I love Wales and I think I may return to Harlech..I loved it the last time I was there and if I book now, I can go in school time and get it for a cheaper price. The change of scenery and sea air will be good for me and I know it will refresh me very much. I really hope to do this and I look forward to it, if I do...

No comments: