Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Music heals always

As always, I've been listening to music again today. Music is a daily ritual for me, on waking and on sleeping, I tend to have some music on somewhere around the house and even at work, at times.
One track I'm particularly loving right now is called 'Cruel' by the American collective Calexico. Depending on how you want to interpret their lyrics, they're actually making a point about environmental corruption. One thing I love about this collective of musicians is their environmental and social conscience. Thank God there's still musicians around who do have a conscience rather than worrying about their image or how famous they're becoming.
Anyway here's the lyrics I'm really liking, if not reminding us about what's happening in the world on an environmental level....

Cruel
Cruel, cruel grounds
Leak truths never found
Torturous ways
Whisper from the grave
A slow spun song of distortion
Bitter, bitter mouth
Spitin' out seeds of doubt
Rituals seek root
Razed before they're told
Stories break like branches in the cold
Seasons trial finds man's mistakes fair game
Careless hand
Lay and law of the land
Falls by the side
Silenced sentient cries
All within the lines of divine right
Better bury the tracks in an unclosed case
Weeds of discontent choke a broken ghost landscape
Cruel, heartless reign
Chasing short term gains
Right down to the warning signs
Birds refuse to fly
No longer trust the sky
Drifting out beyond the signals
Even the horizon is gone
Weather flees underground


I've also had such a wonderful day with some ex offenders in a probation hostel. As a wind- down for Xmas, we prepared a buffet and played a music quiz and then a karaoke battle game. How much fun was this? I'm telling you, I was in tears, as were most of the students who joined in, when the singing was put on playback for all and sundry to listen to! How lovely and rewarding to see these guys laughing and really having so much fun!
I sang to Atomic by Blondie - Bloody hard work that one.. Material Girl by Madonna - not too bad. Perfect by Fairground Attraction - bit too mellow for my liking, attempted Ice, Ice Baby by Ice T! Fucking hilarious and shite at that one...rapping is damned hard work!
My score was pretty good and apparently I have 'professional singer status! This score is ridiculous, I can tell you!

So today, music has brought so much joy and laughter to the souls and hearts of myself and many others'.

2 comments:

FOUR DINNERS said...

Hiya babe. Soz I've not been around. Jax doin great - one titanium rod and 5 screws in her back.

The Drunk Punk Pirate Radio Show goes out midnight - til around 1:30am Saturday. If yer want a listen follow the instructions on me last post (n have a stiff drink first!) I'll play Atomic for yer for sure. If I can download Calexico I'll play that for yer. How's that?

Yer sound happy on this post. Good! Be n stay happy x

Anonymous said...

The Smiths are always good for a bit of light relief...