Sunday, December 31, 2006

The problem with people

As we wind up to 2007, I've been greatly reminded why sometimes it's good to remember that we're are born alone and I guess, most of us will die alone. Don't worry about this morbid rant, I'm not feeling morbid, or sad today. Far from it. The problem is with other people, namely a few of my friends. I actually feel like I can't wait to be free of any responsibilties because let's face it, we're all pretty much alone out here in the world in many ways; I'm sure as hell gonna bugger off from this life, into a completely different one! Teaching abroad definitely takes my fancy, when my youngest son is post school age. Anyway, back on topic.....
Friend 1 and partner were all set to be out tonight and then she informs that they're worried about the cost of the taxi. I inform them they can stay here and we can all share a taxi, hence lowering the cost - Umming and ahhing about whether or not they'll be coming out. It is New Years, I remind them and my first one out at that for years! This statement seemed to fall on deaf ears.
Friend 2, I have alot more sympathy with and can actually understand her reasons for not coming out.
What is it about New Year's Eve? People really get 'het' up about the strangest of things. Why don't they just enjoy the moment for what it is? For me, I'm rather excited as this is the first New Years that I've been out on with friends, hence my excitement about being around my friends, which funnily enough has started to dwindle a little....
Saying that, I'd much rather be out with mates than stuck in, as in times past with two of my ex's. I have crap memories of many New Year's Eve arguments, drunkeness, aggression, anger and in a few instances violence, caused through alcohol. New Year's Eve really seems to bring out the anger and truth with people, in many ways.
Anyway, negative stuff aside, I'm bloody happy and excited about being out tonight as a single person. I'll have no-one causing banal, drunken arguements with me, picking a fight or even trying to provoke me into getting into a 'raging' argument. Let's hope these sort of times are a relic of my past..had far too many of 'em, over far too many New Years.
All I want now, is to enjoy the night with the dear friends that are out with me and look forward to the New Year. It's a shame that I'm not sharing tonight with the person I do love but he's chosen his own New Year's plans and I sincerely hope he has a good time. (Reckon he'd have a better time though, if he were out with me!)
Anyway, we all make our choices for whatever reasons and these choices lead us to our destiny in life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, well I won't give a long unbearable speech, since mostly I feel it doesn't help anyone what I say...

I'll just say Happy New Year to a special lady.

Sara said...

Oh AJ, but you'd be surprised...I think many people appreciate what you say and I'm sure it does help people very much..

I'll also second your sentiments for the New Year, back to another special lady!