Saturday, October 20, 2007

The Olympics Farce

How can I and others in our population and around the world, support the Olympic farce? After watching Unreported World on Channel 4 last night, it revealed what lengths developers are going to, in order to create 'plush like' apartments ready for when the Olympics are held in Beijing; families forcibly and under duress being moved from their dwellings, tortured for failing to agree to relocate (bearing in mind many of these people have lived in this accommodation all of their life) People beind detained illegally, old people being beaten up.
This is horrific! I really can't engage myself in such a riduculous farce as the Olympics for this reason. I honestly feel that people around the world involved in the Olympics, sportsmen, organisers etc etc, should boycott it for the above reasons. Surely this is a humanitarian issue that needs further addressing and indeed investigating further.
I take my hat off to the reporters who undercovered this footage and I prey for the poor people who are being forcibly manhandled for the sake of 'national pride and competitive sports'. I know some of you will argue that this is progress, innovation, will bring much needed money into the area but hell, when people's lives are ruined for the sake of shiny, short termist, pathetic facade of riche, then I want no part of it. Capitalism sickens me so much at times..

1 comment:

FOUR DINNERS said...

It's China. That's what China does. Always has always will.

Our 'leaders' would do just the same given half a chance.

Don't watch the Olympics anymore except some gymnastics if GB are on.