Sunday, June 25, 2006

My love affair with Reggae

For some reason today, I've had a few Bob Marley tunes in my head. The first tune was 'Waiting in Vain' and the second was 'Natural Mystic'. Both of these songs stem from the Exodus album, one of my favourite Bob Marley albums. As a teenager, I was wild about reggae and all things associated with it! My collection of reggae consisted of;

Bob Marley
Scientist
Yellowman - misogynist that he is though!
Sly and Robbie
Gregory Issacs
Linton Kwesi Johnson
Purpleman
Peter Metro
The Naturalites
Clint Eastwood and Genral Saint
Sly and Robbie

To name a few!

I remember my first ever all nighter when I was 15 years old at the old Palais in Nottingham. The upstairs was reggae focussed; Rastafarians, ganja, hats, heavy bass, high!!The downstairs was funk focussed.
I was underage in this club but luckily, my older sister was looking after me, as my Mum and Dad were on holiday and she decided that I'd be better going with her to an allnighter, than staying 'alone home'. Thank fuck for her wise insightful thoughts!

I remember loving this night and the music so much...so much so, that it's influenced my music taste continually throughout my life.

1 comment: