Friday, June 02, 2006

Karma V Guilt?

Well, I've been ill with a summer type fluey thing for the last few days, so spending time watching the TV and Cybersurfing too much!!
I had such a laugh tonight watching My Name is Earl. I don't know if any of you are interested, or indeed watch this series but tonights was one of the funniest I've seen in quite a while. Earl decided to payback no.1 on his karma list. This entailed giving some money back to someone he had stolen from many years ago with a load of intricate diversions along the way.
Anyway, the reason I write about this is my interest in Karma. Is it true that 'Karma gets you in the end?' Or something has 'Bad Karma?'
Karma definition = Deeds or actions that have consequences. So in other words if I do something that causes harm, I'll sort of receive bad karma.
This principle in many ways is similar to the Wiccan belief of An harm none. In other words, 'Do as you will but don't harm anyone'.
These value systems I strongly believe in, rather than the Christian belief and value of guilt and repentence. Guilt, in my opinion, has a lot to answer for in the society we live in.
Guilt about: Food, alcohol, body image, consumerism, behaviour, exercise, etc etc.
In many ways, on a basic human level, surely it's better to practice an existence that enables us to believe that our actions should be of a positive, nurturing nature to others.In many ways guilt means that people badly beat themselves up about a lot of things, which in many ways is far too destructive for a person to endure. In contrast, those who don't treat us in a way that we'd like to be treated, simply means to me, that these people still need to reach some level of self-enlightenment and awareness.
Therefore, a better solution, in my opinion, is to accept our faults, downfalls, bad behaviours, etc and change them so we don't harm anyone or ourselves.
In this case, no-one will feel a bad sense of karma!
I think it's my bedtime now, after all that Karma talk!

1 comment:

FOUR DINNERS said...

Only ever felt guilty if I've been nasty to someone. Apart from that, never. Guilty about alcohol? You kiddin'????