Saturday, June 07, 2008

Fuck Me Backwards....

Not literally but you know ehen you get those moments in life when you think that to yourself? Or is this a sort of Northern slang? The reason for me saying this phrase is because I bumped into a friend last night, who I haven't seen for about 13 years! The last time I saw him was back in the mid 90s, I got to know him through him meeting a Danish friend who was staying with me in my old flat. We'd been to a reggae night at the then Sam Fays, as it was called and he came back with us and enjoyed a weekend at my flat.
He spent a sweet time with my mate Nina and then she departed for Denmark and we all carried on with our lives. I used to randomnly bump into him in Notts and indeed, would go to watch him play in gigs as he's a mean Sax and Flute player, he used to play with a band throughout the 90s who started to gain momentum in quite a few areas.
His story of life and musicianship is a fascinating one; Working class boy from council estate, single parent family, got a scholarship to music school in London, has played in many classical concerts and orchestras etc etc, still plays today albeit has experienced a lower than low last 10 years or so but now on the mend again.
Was weird to bump into him, he was stood at the bar looking at me and I didn't acknowledge him as I didn't at first, recognise him..He then said my name, I looked and realised who it was and spent ages chatting to him. He's now busying himself with music projects in the city and looking after his two kids..
I love these moments in life when you've been feeling a bit crap,for whatever reason and then some lightness comes along and brings a ray of happiness back into the dark day..

So, the good thing is, I'll stay in contact with him for sure and keep an eye out for his gigs when he plays..What a delight to bump into good ghosts from the past and he definitely is a proper good soul with a decent and pure heart..

2 comments:

Furtheron said...

Great story... I bumped into an old friend at a Dream Theatre gig last year at Wembley. Random!

I had a mate who I'd keep bumping into on the street. Canterbbury High Steet at about 12:30 one morning. Then 6 months later on the concourse of Liverpool Street station on Thursday lunch time.... how weird is that!

Furtheron said...

And another thing - how exactly do you get fucked backwards?

Don't answer that I'm blissfully naive on erotic pleasures generally - and that is probably a good thing for me