Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Poems and the rebirth of writing them..

So poetry? I used to write poems years ago, around the age of 20, when I lived on my own in a bedsit in the Sherwood Rise area of Nottingham..My master to writing poems? The break up of a two year relationship with someone who back then, I felt I wanted to spend my life with..he messed my head emotionally; one minute he wanted to spend his life with me, the next, he'd change his mind..We lived together in a small flat and shared many sweet times.In many ways he was a proper gentlemen and a wonderful boyfriend; took me out for good meals even though we didn't have loads of money, went to the cinema, gigs, parties, walks, photographing expeditions where we'd take lots of photos of each other but mainly he'd take photos of me cos he was training to be a photographer, make home made wine and drink together, read together, backpacked around the Greek Islands for a month..etc, all of the things you do with a person that you want to be with..I was VERY in love with him so when I realised our relationship was ending, I think I had a mini breakdown - taking an overdose almost happened but luckily, I went to ring my Mum instead on the day that I almost did it and this brought me back to the real world..I shortly after, moved back home and then got a job abroad..escaped you could say.

I used to write down my feelings and then write them into some sort of poem, I carried on with this whilst living in Denmark but then, when I had my first son, poetry sort of got put on the back burner.

So today? I've been recently compiling all of my poems over the last 3 years that I've written - there's LOADS! I didn't realise that I'd wrote so many..I want to print them all out and put them into a folder..Just in case my PC ever breaks down and I lose them..

I enjoy writing poems but I only do it when I feel a sense of inspiration to write, this is usually caused by some sort of emotional trigger..and they aren't always just aimed at love etc but can be about the system and the injustice that I see around me and others in the world..

It's weird, re-reading poems from 3 years ago, is like a sort of diary of feelings and emotions..I'm glad that I started writing poems back then and I don't think I'd have written poetry without the profound inspiration and emotional awakening I felt..
Viva La Poetry!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Sara..
How are you?
I liked your blog..the poems n words are captivating..you write beautifully..
Have a nice day..
Salman