Wednesday, January 17, 2007

'Rock Chick' memories

Today, I've been listening to some of my old metal collection of music. In times gone by and I guess to a little extent now, I was a bit of a 'rock chick' , I'll have you know. I have absolutley fond memories of raucous nights at Rock City, The Tap and Tumbler, The Salutation, Trip to Jerusalem, The Angel, The 'old' Dragon and The Castle. I used to be big into metal and indeed grungy rock; Metallica, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, ACDC, Black Sabbath, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Faith No More, The Breeders, The Scorpions(Ughh) Pink Floyd, loads more when I think about it.
I loved that scene at the time although I hated the 'macho' crap that went along with it! I mean some of the men....well, the word misogyny always springs to mind when I think about them. Not all of them of course but quite a fair few. The rock scene does tend to breed misogyny in some ways.
I sort of preferred the 'indie/punk' scene I guess, as I thought the male population semed to be a little more enlightened about women and the like. I know I'm generalising here but that was my experience of the scene, when I frequented it. Indeed the punk scene was pretty big on women's issues thinking about it..
I remember one guy I met, many, many years ago(20 years to be precise, fuck! ) who asked me out on a date. He met me in Nottingham and was completely off his box on acid! The good thing though, was that he saw my eyes as 'butterflies' which was really quite endearing in many ways. I liked to think of my eyes as fluttery butterflies..must've been my make up and the colour of my irises that gave the butterfly effect! He also kept on trying to suggest that I was a 'real rock chick'..Dear me. What constitutes a rock chick? I guess I had the hair, the clothes, the look, back then..maybe?
Anyway, God knows why the poor soul chose to meet me whilst off his head on acid! The sad thing was, he hardly could talk and therefore, I never knew much about him, which was pretty much a good thing really, as I moved abroad shortly after making his aquaintance to continue Rock Chick antics in all things 'scandinavian style'. Hmm I have much, much more to write about, regarding this time. But not today........

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

where/when was it you met me again? must have been around '78. oh. Couldn't have been you then. Too early. I do recall lying on the hard shoulder of the M4 in '78 watching butterflys. Why I was there I've no idea. I was rescued by a Rugby Team who directed their coach right to my front door. 'Cept it wasn't but I thought it was. Those were the days!!

Anonymous said...

ROCK ON!!!

Anonymous said...

ROCK ON!

Anonymous said...

ROCK ON!

Sara said...

Indeed! A bit of 'Rave on' also suits this party girl!