Monday, January 29, 2007

Those whom depart us......

Last week, a dear work colleague's son, died at the age of 29 years old from a problem with his heart. When I heard this news, tears overcame me and I couldn't but feel such a sadness for my colleague and the depth of loss, that she must've been feeling as a mother; How difficult and unimaginable it must be to lose a son like this - unexpectedly and with no warning.
His death made me think about how I felt when I lost my Mum and the emotions one encounters when you lose a loved one;disbelief, shock, a sadness that you've never experienced before in your life, anger, futility, reflection, pain and many more emotions.
It also made me realise that life is so valuable, in so many ways. We are but here, for such a short time, in the grand scheme of things that we should live life to the best that we can; give love to those whom we hold dear, let those we love - know that we love them, enjoy each moment as a precious moment, value nature and all of the beauty that we have around us when we can. In many ways, we should go with what is right for us and indeed enjoy life as much as we can...and indeed ensure that we live a life that gives us the fulfillment that each of us deserve.
So, today I still feel a sense of sadness when I think about my work colleague and her loss. I think about my Mum and the loveliness she also gave to me throughout my life. I also get to thinking about the 'cosmic' reasons surrounding life..do we just die? Or do our souls move on to another realm? I wonder about these things so much that I guess this is a question I'll never know the answer to..then again, sometimes in life it's good to have unanswered questions.

For my dear work colleague Jenny -may comfort and strength be with you at this difficult time...

1 comment:

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

29?

Jesus.

We must all live as if we could be struck down at any time, such is life.